Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Lumpia


I recall eating lumpia when I was growing up.  It is a Filipino egg roll of sorts, with a filling of all kinds of vegetables... vegetables like cabbage and sweet potato that are easy to find in the winter time but also year-round.  I used to eat these at inevitably international pot luck dinners here in the DC area, where, alongside Argentine empanadas, these were my favorites.  This recipe is from the Washington post, and is pretty good.  Look for the Wei Chuan spring roll warppers - they made these a cinch to roll and were very tasty.  The Post also has a photo collection that shows the whole process very well.  Note how big the wok is in the pictures... the recipe makes a lot of filling.  But I've got some in the freezer which will make frying up my next batch very easy.  This recipe is easy to make vegetarian by simply omitting the ground beef... I don't think it would make much of a difference.

No comments:

Post a Comment