Sunday, January 3, 2010

Cauliflower Gratin



This is one of my favorite ways to cook cauliflower, but it really makes sense to do when you have bechamel left over and sitting in the fridge.  (Maybe from making the swiss chard lasagna).  I served with an arugula salad and a piece of toast (use a baguette if you have one.)

Cauliflower Gratin with Ham
Fills a 9x13 baking dish - feeds 4 as a meal


1 head cauliflower
1/4 pound deli ham
1 cup bechamel sauce (recipe here)
black pepper
1/2 cup shredded parm, gruyere, or combination


Preheat oven to 350.  Fill a large saucepan with water and bring to a boil.  While coming to a boil, chop the cauliflower into florets with about a square inch of a top.  Slice the ham into strips.  When water is boiling, add a pinch of salt, and then the cauliflower.  Boil for 3-4 minutes and drain.  Arrange cauliflower in a 9x13 baking dish, add ham and bechamel and mix gently to coat.  Grind fresh pepper on top to taste, and sprinkle cheese.  Bake at 350 for 10-15 minutes.  Turn on the broiler and brown for 5 more minutes until golden.  Serve hot.

1 comment:

  1. I could be eating this if I were in DC with my buddy Raf cooking. I made it as far as Boston...I think you might be on my way back to Ohio.

    jong

    ReplyDelete